Thursday, April 3, 2008

Rant Alert~~Rant Alert~~Rant Alert~~Rant Alert

Ok, I've just started to read about microblogging and Twitter. My question at this point is: WHY do we need to keep in touch with everyone at every moment? WHY do I need to know that Jim-Bob is refinishing his cabinets and Luanne is redoing her nails? They can tell me at our next phone call or the next time I see them in person. I don't need instant gratification, nor does our culture need more of it than it already has. Yes it is nice that I can keep in touch with people all across the world, but I do think some of this social networking stuff is too big-brotherish, too unhealthy, too I-have(or should have)-better-things-to-do-with-my-life. People lived just fine without cell phones 50 years ago, but now the end of the world occurs if you forget to charge your cell phone, or, God forbid, if you tell someone their phone conversation is disruptive. And now you can update everyone you know at every minute of every day what you are doing, no matter where you are or where they are???

Alrighty then.

No comments: